Westover Green is a large, busy primary school in Bridgwater, near to the town centre, and beside the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal. Each September the school is right in the heart of the famous Bridgwater Fair. Every year we welcome the Fair children to our school who are absorbed into our happy community.
As well as having Extended Schools Status (including breakfast and after-school clubs) we have Healthy School Status and are a Dyslexia Friendly School. The school was last inspected in January 2016 and was rated as a Good School with Outstanding Features. We are a part of the Sedgemoor Learning Alliance and work collaboratively with many other schools. The school has always considered the importance of the development of the whole child and with that in mind the range of extended curriculum is impressive, including two residential trips, visits by theatre groups, visits to the theatre, local music and arts festivals and a wide range of sports activities. The Governors have committed themselves in the school budget to having a high staffing level to support different styles of learning.
The school premises include a specialist Autism Centre, huge field, copse, willow walk and wildlife pond, so that although being an urban school, Westover children have the advantage of experiencing the outdoor environment on their doorstep. Always moving forward and looking to improve, we aspire to our motto “Opening the gates to learning.”
OUR LEARNING CHARTER
At Westover Green, we are committed to:
- providing a secure and safe environment in which our children can learn
- providing a balanced curriculum which develops and extends pupils’ learning ,through a range of experiences, both inside & outside school
- a comprehensive approach to teaching, recognising the need for children to understand their own emotions, before they can begin to actively learn.
- building our children’s self-esteem & self-worth, through mutual respect & understanding
- seeing our children growing in confidence and self-assurance and so we aim to engender a positive approach in our teaching to encourage these values
- Including everyone within the wider school community, especially parents/carers
- encouraging our children to become active, positive members of the community of Bridgwater & good citizens of the UK, Europe & the world.
- teaching our children about British culture, as well as global cultures, to encourage a respectful attitude to all who live in our world
Our particular aims are to:
- Help children learn and apply the skills needed to "get on" with other people by developing their emotional literacy
- Help children develop lively and enquiring minds
- Help children acquire knowledge and skills relevant to a fast changing world
- Help children use Literacy, Numeracy, Science and Information and Communications Technology skills effectively
- Instil respect for other cultures
- Help children understand the world in which they live
- Help children appreciate human achievement
OUR GOLDEN RULES
Always think about others
Speak politely and truthfully
Be kind and gentle
Go carefully and thoughtfully